A contractor in India with whom I have been doing business for more than a year is now struggling with bills that are accruing for medical expenses related to his mother's heart disease. He has never asked me for money beyond the payments I send to him for work he does for a client of mine, which he does very well at a reasonable price. We have worked with numerous contractors, foreign and domestic, and this guy is the best. I don't give very often to big charitable organizations, but I'm going to send some money in this case. The kinds of figures he has communicated are modest compared to medical and hospital costs in the US. Anybody else interested in helping?
After I wrote the first paragraph of this post I got email from this contractor telling me he does not want money. He wants work. He and his group have been very effective in getting email addresses for mailings advertising continuing legal education seminars. If you have work, technical, or commercial services that can be outsourced, I can put you in touch with him. I heartily recommend him.
Power tends to Corrupt
Work is done by those who understand what they do not manage and dominated by those who manage what they do not understand.
-- Putt's Law
The American ethos is realistic about human corruptibility. The Constitution codifies a system of checks and balances based on the principle that unconstrained power tends to be abused. Puritan notions and the framers knowledge of history went into the separation of powers that is now considered to be integral to sound governance. Neglect of both the premises and the principle of constraint in corporate management has made business entities into hierarchies of self-serving ambition in an environment of intimidation and counterproductive, networked incompetence. Business has become the domain of an aristocracy. Nearly every working person contends with the resulting dysfunction on a daily basis. Working dangerously is to acknowledge the pervasiveness of bad management while trying to remain employed.
Turn the other cheek and read this blog for perspective. It's cheaper than a psychiatrist.
No comments:
Post a Comment